The Spartan Aircraft Company was an American aircraft manufacturing company, headquartered in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Previously known as Mid-Continent Aircraft Company, the company had been reorganized under the Spartan name in 1928 by oil baron William G. Skelly — and operated until 1961, manufacturing aircraft, aircraft components, and recreational vehicle trailers. The company was known for the luxurious Spartan Executive aircraft produced in the late 1930s and early 1940s.
J. Paul Getty acquired the company from Skelly in 1935. After World War II, primarily to meet the demand for housing, Getty ended aircraft production and converted the company to manufacturing trailer “homes” under the Spartan brand using similar building techniques and materials.
The Spartan trailer was known as the Cadillac of Trailers, with gleaming birch interiors, an all aluminum skin and an art deco theme.
The first model was the Spartan Manor, rolled out in 1945…the last one in 1961.
The four year production of the Spartan Mansion model, ran from 1948-1951. Of the 1257 Mansions built, ours was number 46!